Re: TH-D7A(G) vs W32-A for Easy Sats?

One trick I have used on all the FM sats with my IC-W32A is to set
one VFO for the top of the downlink frequency (accounting for initial
doppler), set the second VFO for the true uplink frequency (without
doppler), and only adjust the downlink by hand in VFO mode.  The
memory can be used to store these, but the downlink receiver must be
in VFO mode (as opposed to memory mode) to allow tuning during the
pass.  I adjust the downlink receiver by hand during the pass in 5KHz
increments.

I learned this trick from comments that Emily made about tuning
AO-51.  They have worked for both my handheld and the TS-2000 on
AO-51, AO-27, and SO-50.  Just remember to have the proper tone set
with the memories for each satellite.

-Freeman, N5FPP

On Dec 9, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Steve Holly wrote:

> Emily W0EEC wrote:
>
> Snip...
>
> 1) The W32A has two independent tuning knobs for the main and sub
> bands, which makes it far easier to manipulate the sub (receiving)
> band when tuning for Doppler shift.  On the D7A you have to fumble to
> switch focus from the main to the sub band, change it, and switch
> focus back before transmitting.  I find this stressful on short LEO
> passes.
>
> Snip...
>
> Steve WI2W writes:
>
> That does sound cumbersome on the D7A.
>
> On my IC-24AT I've programmed five consecutive memory locations for
> AO-51.
> For example:
> RX          TX
> 435.310   145.920
> 435.305   145.920
> 435.300   145.920
> 435.295   145.920
> 435.290   145.920
>
> When operating in memory mode a single click on the tuning dial
> changes
> memory channels.
>
> Would this work on the D7A? (I don't own one)
>
> 73,
> Steve WI2W
> author.
> program!

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
     -- Sir Winston Churchill

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of PGP.sig]