RE: Reply goes to sender, not to amsat-bb

At 08:20 AM 12/9/2005, Bill Ress wrote:
>Hi A.J.,
>
>No - I don't have any issues with the way the list is set up. Diane pointed
>to some "technical' reasons why it's set up this way (though I don't
>understand all of them!) but I'm using Outlook and the "reply" lets my
>response go just to the message author which is convenient when I don't what
>to take up list bandwidth (or I want to keep the response private) or "reply
>to all" which gives me the option to select who my response goes to. Perhaps
>other email programs handle the response format different but it works for
>me!!

Actually it can be a pain, and the real fault lies with a the mail
programs themselves.  Ideally, they should be able to work out that
this message came from a list and offer options as to where to send
your reply (sender, sender and list, list, even Reply-To: address as
an option, if that's set).  One reader that seems to do well is Pine,
which can even offer the option of replying direct to the sender, if

Geeze, it's about time the software we use caught up with the
times...  Not exactly, umm, rocket science (unlike a lot of what gets
discussed here ;) ).

My biggest beef is that behaviour is arbitrary (dependent on each
list admin), so the software needs to help the end user to make the
right choice for each message (e.g. a pop up box with the options
when the user hits Reply).

Reply and Reply To All buttons don't cut it these days, they need
smarter help. :)

</rant>
;)

73 de VK3JED