From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of John Mock
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:39 AM
To: w2rs@arrl.net
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Query for OSCAR SKN Participants,

I think SKN should just be straight key.  If ARRL wants to hold a
mechanical
key night, that's fine; they should call it that.  We do lots of
innovation
here, so i think it's our duty to keep to tradition (for a change).

Furthermore, most folks can't send as fast with a straight key as with a
bug,
and therefore, SKN gives code neophytes a chance to get started in a new
mode
on the birds (which the ARRL 'innovation' might discourage).  CW is a
good
mode on the birds especially when conditions aren't favorable for voice
or
other modes.  I suspect that the kind of CW that would work well under
such
conditions would not be the super-fast kind...  I'm sure i won't be able
handle those kinds of contacts, and isn't this night seeking the 'best
fist'?

Let's keep SKN just for straight keys.

			       -- KD6PAG

[Note: I never send unsolicited binary attachments and if you receive
anything
purportedly from <kd6pag@qsl.net> that isn't signed with my callsign,
then it
probably isn't from me.]