Re: TH-D7A(G) vs W32-A for Easy Sats?

I would like to echo what A.J. Farmer wrote.  The two radios are
equally capable for voice satellites and both have similar power
output under the same battery conditions. Both have cross-band
capability and dual in-band capability, but (I believe - not sure on
this point) you can only use the W32A as a portable cross-band
repeater (I use it as a satellite simulator when I do presentations.)

There are a few differences that AJ touched on that I'll add my own
opinion about:

1) The W32A has two independent tuning knobs for the main and sub
bands, which makes it far easier to manipulate the sub (receiving)
band when tuning for Doppler shift.  On the D7A you have to fumble to
switch focus from the main to the sub band, change it, and switch
focus back before transmitting.  I find this stressful on short LEO passes.

2) The D7A has a built in 1200/9600 baud TNC and APRS
processor.  This is very handy for APRS both terrestrial and
satellite.  You can easily hook up a GPS and have it track you when
mobile, something I like very much.  The TNC doesn't have the
complete instruction set that my 9612+ does, but there isn't much I
haven't been able to do with it.  As a portable packet system it's
great - the key word being portable.

3) The W32A can transmit on it's factory supplied AC adapter, but the
D7A cannot - it's only a recharger.  Even though your battery may be
fully charged it won't power from it.  This is a bit of a pain
because you can't run a home APRS beacon and leave it plugged
in.  Both can transmit on the 12V car adapter.

When faced with the decision of which radio to buy I initially went
with the W32A.  I was and remain very pleased with it.  After about a
year, which included fumbling around with home made data, audio and
power cables for a TinyTrak III, I decided to also buy a D7A.  After
having it for 9 months I can say I wouldn't be without either
radio.  Both are excellent at their individual jobs.

So if only one radio is in your budget I think the question you
should ask yourself is what you will use it for most.  If you are
working voice satellites, the W32A is the best (IMHO).  For working
digital, the all in one nature of the D7A is superior.

One other note - I have been looking around for the SSTV module for
the D7A and everywhere seems to indicate that it is
discontinued.  This is (IMHO) very unfortunate if it's true.  Perhaps
they are just replacing it with a newer module and the new one hasn't
been announced yet.

73,

Emily