Re: Alaska - Europe, was: Re: AO-51 DX-by-mail

Andre,

Yes, well I wasn't including AO-7 as a Leo, I guess.  Is it a Leo with 1460
km apogee orbit?  In any case I was talking about the FM Leos that do not
have as large a footprint.  Even FO-29 does not extend enough over the pole
for much of a common window.

I was really talking about the contrast with a true Heo such as AO-13 or
P3E which provides hours of common coverage over large parts of the earth.

I have not heard many reports on how well AO-7 is working these days.  I
have been working Oscar-0 most of the time this last year!  That is trully
a Heo at ~370,000 km!  Of course I am talking about the Moon and eme.

So I guess one should never say never :-)
73's Ed

BTW how many European's have worked Alaska on a Leo....hold up your hands!

At 07:03 PM 12/6/2005 +0100, Andre PH7AT wrote:
>Hi Ed,
>
>Alaska *is* in range of Europe. I just checked and there are several
>occasions every day where we have a mutual window
>on AO-7 from my location (JO21). Working the UK should be even easier.
>Time zone differences (you are 10 hours behind
>of Europe) are a problem ofcourse and AO-7 must be in the sun.
>
>Practical problem might be that when AO-7 is that far up over the north
>pole most of the time I get a lot of QRM so
>working this bird is very hard to say the least. But it would be very
>nice DX.
>
>Well, maybe it can be done ;)
>
>73!
>
>Andre PH7AT
>www.ph7at.net
>
>Edward R. Cole wrote:
>
>>specialty types of hamming ... e.g. microwave or meteor scatter).  Alaska
>>(thankfully) is in range for good Leo activities with Canada and parts of
>>the lower-48 states...but not Europe.

73's,
Ed - KL7UW