Re: AO-40

The best we can give you Bob is an opinion since we have little
conclusive evidence about what happened.   In the end, we would just be
guessing.  We have evidence that nothing good happened at the end with
the auxiliary battery string being shorted across the primary battery
string which was developing an internal short.  We know from an analysis
of the orbital elements following this set of mission ending events that
something happened to significantly change the mean motion.  AO-40 is a
big spacecraft so it must have been quite a bit of energy.

I would not spend all my AMSAT budget line item getting ready for
AO-40's return.

The technical folks in AMSAT-NA and AMSAT-DL and the elected officials
in AMSAT-NA are concentrating on the future:  Phase 3 Express and AMSAT
Eagle.  Recent board actions by AMSAT-DL say they are concentrating on
the future and working to stay positive and to have a very beneficial
impact on our facet of the hobby.  Other than that, they should speak
for themselves.  We are looking backwards only insofar as making sure we
do things in a better way.  AMSAT-DL has very good project management
for P3E with Heike Straube managing that.  Peter is a very good
president for AMSAT-DL given all I can see.  With the possible exception
of this author,  Rick Hambly has assembled a very good team.  The Eagle
project is just exploding in activity with a new face as the project
manager there and he has lots of good news to tell folks.  WB4GCS,
former commander of the USS Hawes and the reactor officer on the USS
Teddy Roosevelt is our new face as project manager.  He has the
necessary management experience and skills we need to run a tidy ship.
;-).  Stay tuned for action reports.

Bob
N4HY
VP Engineering AMSAT-NA