Com ports Re: KPC-4 Dual TNC

Hi Bill,

Regarding the lack of com ports---I've had great luck with the SIIG boards.  In my radio box (WinXP Pro) I have two 4 port boards, giving that machine a grand total of 9 com ports :)

Here is the latest one I purchased---it uses a PCI Express (x1) slot--and works great!

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/SIIG_CyberSerial_4S/JJE40011S1/H37619/

The other board I have is for a PCI slot.   Look around here, as they have all kinds of SIIG boards, some of which use ISA:

http://www.costcentral.com/product-list/Adapters/24/SIIG/Z00508/

Both boards allow the setting of the com ports to whatever number you want using Device Manager and menus---very handy.   Both boards have a "dongle" that brings out four DB9 connectors on short cables.

So, while they aren't exactly "cheap", they won't break the bank, either.  And I finally have enough com ports---for now ;)

73,

Mark N8MH

At 09:21 AM 11/26/2005 -0700, William Erhardt wrote:
>Howdy from Bill K7MT,
>
>Received information from Brent Hildebrand (Author of APRS + SA) and he said
>that the program will not support two seperate calls/ssids with dual tnc's -
>only one call.  Answers that question !!!  He did however say that you can
>run two copies of APRS + SA on the same computer and have seperate ssid's as
>I need for terrestrial and ISS.  Will try it out...... Problem is I am
>running out of com ports !!!!
>
>Cheers  Bill K7MT
>----

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]