Re: FM on ssb/cw designed hamsats

On 11/24/05, Dave Guimont <dguimon1@san.rr.com> wrote:
> Amateur radio is all about sharing.  And fortunately it mostly is.
>
> And ANYONE that even suggests using FM on other than birds designed FOR FM
> is certainly countermanding that ideal, and being extremely selfish
> proposing that usage.
>
> Thanks a million, Drew, for your insight....I hope they are able to
> understand it!!

I'm sorry that you found my suggestion extremely selfish.  However, I
find your response extremely discouraging to new satellite users and
prospective members of AMSAT.  I had an idea of which I thought was
sharing, and I get flamed for it.  That's okay, my skin is thick; I
can take it.  I'm not so sure others welcomed in the same fashion
would be so resilient.  I guess it's too much to ask of ham radio
operators to remember what day of the week it is to try and institute
some sort of once a week schedule.  Echo seems to manage fine with an
irregular schedule, perhaps it would make more sense to suggest to
their team that they shut off the tone guard every once in a while for
those without PL.  I wonder if they could configure it to receive on
70cm and downlink on 2m as well.  I've noticed people have remarked at
how silent Hamsat passes are, but I guess using it for other modes
once a week isn't the answer.  I know, it takes big money to build
satellites, and unfortunately it takes big money to operate some of
them.  I'll concede and go back to saving my pennies for some VHF/UHF
sideband gear.  Again sorry to all who were angered by my suggestion.
I'll keep my controversial ideas to myself next time.

73 and Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans,
VO1ONE