RE: down converter compare

Hi Bob

> Does anyone have a hands on comparison between the UEK3000 and the 3731aa
> downconverter?  Aside from the over $200 difference.

Both are good downconverters: I've used both. Assuming that the 3731 you're
talking about has been modified a la K5GNA depending on the unit you have,
it may have a worse noise figure compared to the UEK3000: when I resold them
over in the UK for Bob K5GNA, I think it ranged from about 0.7 to 1.1dB or
so. I think latterly Bob priced them depending on noise figure.

One of the benefits of the 3731 is if you're using a combined L/S feed. It
has great front end rejection of the L band signal and will cope fine
without any additional notch filters. I would not want to risk a UEK3000
without a notch filter, and that could easily a 1dB or so to the noise
figure.

One other thing: the drift seems greater on the 3731. I am not sure if the
UEK3000 has a TCXO LO or not, but certainly the 3731 doesn't.

73, Howard G6LVB