RE: Satellite Transciever

Hello Ken,

I've had my TS-2000x (purchased used) for about 4 months now and really
like it. I've used it standalone in the shack, portable on Field Day,
and currently use it under computer control from SatPC32. It has always
performed well without so much as a hiccup. The controls and operation
are very intuitive in my opinion. It's really the "Swiss Army Knife" of
radios in the shack. 1.8MHz-1.3GHz (less 220MHz and 900MHz ham bands),
1.8-50MHz antenna tuner, built in 1200 and 9600 modems, and standard
TCXO and DSP. Nothing else to buy. You can also operate it remotely from
an HT and I know of at least one person operating it over the internet
while traveling on business.

The one previously identified "wart" is a birdie on 436.800MHz that
interferes with AO-27 and SO-50 reception. As Mark mentioned a
mast-mounted preamplifier really helps to overcome this and I've made
dozens of contacts on those birds even with the birdie. I also have an
Icom R-7000 Receiver available but on close in passes I don't bother to
switch it in.

I seriously considered the IC-910H but felt that the TS-2000x was a much
better deal. I haven't regretted my decision for a second.

If you have some time on your hands there are 263 reviews if the TS-2000
and 40 reviews of the IC-910H on www.eham.net.

Note that the TS-2000 1.2 GHz module is NOT user installable. A trip to
a Kenwood Service Center is required if you wish to retrofit a TS-2000
to a TS-2000x.

73,
Steve WI2W