length of the rotor control cables. The wire was too thin for the length
of the run and the corresponding voltage drop caused the problem.

Yaesu specifies #20 AWG gauge MINIMUM for runs less than 100 feet and
#18 AWG gauge for runs greater than 100 feet.

73,
Steve WI2W

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of allen
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 2:45 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] G5400B EL rotor problems

I have a repeat problem with my G5400B EL rotor.  The rotor won’t move.
I have troubleshot it electrically from the shack.  The cable seems OK.
The switches are closed.  I can get about 29VAC across the windings and
about 1.6 Amps through each of the windings.  I have tried bridging
100uFd NP across the cable connections to the motor.  It seems the motor
is electrically OK.  Last year when it failed the first time with the
same conditions the rotor got new bearings, retainers, a new water proof
marine grease coating on gears and bolts.  The pot got filled with water
proof silicon grease.

Last year when I took the rotor down and opened it, the motor and the
gears could be turned by hand. I was never able to confirm the failure.
After all of the repair the rotor worked fine until several weeks ago.

Now I am back to the same scenario.  I figure that it must be locked or
jammed.  It has a pair of M2 VHF and UHF antennas on it.  It lives about
a ¼ mile from the Monterey Bay on the Central California coast. It
doesn’t seem to have been bothered by salt air. The load is fairly well
balanced as well as can be with the heavy VHF antenna on one side and
the lighter UHF opposite it.

Before I take it down, I am going to climb up there and try pushing the
boom into and pulling it out to see if I can free it with the wife
operating the power switches from the shack.  I may try relocating the
VHF antenna closer to the rotor to get a better balance. The AZ rotor
always works well.

Any suggestions out there?

de Allen WB6RWU