2.4 GHz downlink

Well, I thought I had my "S" band downlink done and ready to try on AO-51
this week but....on an overhead pass, I heard nothing last night. What I do
hear is my uplink splattering the downlink. I have never used a
downconverter before, should I hear splatter from my 2 meter uplink? This
does not seem right to me. I have a correct power inserter with an att. to
kill some of the gain of the dish (K5GNA). The antenna and dish are on
opposite sides of the rotor about 5 feet apart. Any help would be great.
            Rob  KB2YCC