Canadian charitable givings to AMSAT

To add some substance to the discussion about the international nature of
AMSAT-NA, it should be noted that the charitable status of the organization
cannot cross national boundries. Based on my experience with a similar
situation, I would say there's no point in attempting to gain charity status in
Canada, as our government has different criteria.

However, according to this link
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/charitiesnews-06-1/news6-1-e.html Canadians
who receive income from the US, such as honoraria and consulting fees, can make
a donation to charities that qualify under section 501(c)(3) of the Code, as
AMSAT does. The article says, moreover, "donors can claim donations in the year
they donated them, or in any of the five years immediately following." I don't
know how that would be accounted, but I suppose it means that if one received US
funds five years ago donations could be made against that. There are some
limitations, so look into it.

I'm neither a lawyer nor an accountant: don't take this as professional advice.
For that matter, I'm not a rocket scientist, either, but I plan to use these
terms to make a small donation to the P3-E team after seeing all the wonderful
things in Peter's pdf file.

73, Bruce
VE9QRP