The ESA/SSETI Team Set A New Standard For "Openness"!!!

All AMSATs Take Note!!

The SSETI Team has set a great new standard for openness, public relations
and communications.

Throughout the past year I felt like I was a member of the team.

With the weekly and often daily updates from Graham Shirville, I was with
the team during the project milestones. (a great job Graham! - Thanks a
bunch for your time and enthusiasm!!)

Then there were the webcams where I felt like I was helping wire the

Then how about that live feed on the Internet of the launch??

I fully agree with the fine post by Bruce Robertson on the great successes
of the SSETI endeavor. But I think another significant success was also

Graham confided in an email that the Internet savvy and "open" leadership of
25 year old SSETI Project Manager Neil Melville made it easy for him to keep
the amateur community with SSETI's team all the way. Great job Neil!.
Perhaps youthful, enthusiastic leadership is part of the answer to our
sometimes stalled satellite programs.

There have been times in our amateur satellite building past that I felt we
were building and launching "military spy" satellites and not amateur
satellites. I hope the current satellite teams take a lesson from SSETI and
learn to communicate better and more often.

So while I too will miss the opportunity to use the U/S transponder, that
possible short coming is overshadowed by the achievements, knowledge and new
friendships this international student team has taken away from this

To everyone on the ESA and SSETI team - thanks for the new standards you
have set!!

Bill - N6GHz

(I'm still maintaining an optimistic attitude that it's not over yet!)