Re: QRP 1 watt on AO-51 successfully

On 10/23/05, Thailand Amateur Radio Satellites Corporate
<tamsat_gateway@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All ham
>
> Yesterday! on  22 Oct 2005 14:10 UTC. or 21:10 TST
> E20QVD portable at Suvarnabhumi new airport of Thailand.
> He has icom IC2GXAT VHF transceiver RF power output 1 watt
> and arrow antenna uplink to AO-51

I typically use 1 watt into an arrow handheld to work AO-51, SO-50 and
AO-27.  It works great most of the time, unless there's a lot of
traffic/QRM.  It seems at periods like this on the sats with tone
guard that people hold down the key until they hear themselves, but
since they're all transmitting on top of each other, the receiver just
gets interference and can't decode any PL tone, therefore never being
able to tell what's going on since the transmitter stays silent
because of this.  Also, it may be just me, but I particularly notice
on AO-51 using 1 watt that the uplink is sensitive to doppler more
than the other FM sats.  Usually the capture effect is enough to not
have to adjust the 2m uplink frequency, but I find I have to with 1
watt on AO-51 early in the pass.

73,
Mark VO1ONE