Diplexer use question

Hello,

Is it possible to use a diplexer in reverse (one aerial and two outputs) and
be able to operate in duplex mode (transmit and receive at the same time)? I
have a Yaesu FT-847 radio.

I've become a highway wanderer and so I'm no longer able to use decent
aerials. I have in mind using a quarter wave whip on VHF and having it
double as a three-quarter wave whip on UHF.

Regards,
Phil.