Uses for DSS dishes?

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Tondee
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:09 AM
Subject: Uses for DSS dishes?

Hi,
 I'm new to all this and I've been doing a lot of research but one thing that
is confusing me is the large variety of dish types out there and the feed
methods for them. I have several 18 inch  DirectTV type dishes laying around
along with a couple of LNA's for them.  My XYL has been after me to get rid of
some of the clutter around here so I'm wondering if I should keep them around
for future use. Like I say, I'm new and the only equipment I have at present
is my TS2000X. I'm still in the process of looking at homebrew antenna designs
and trying to accquire funds for an AZ/EL rotator or possibly doing something
with TV rotators so it will be awhile before I get into  using these dishes I
think but I'm curious how useful they are. My immediate goals are to work some
of the LEO's and then be able to move into HEO's when we get one back up
there.
Tnx and 73,
Michael, W4HIJ