Re: QST de W6IFE- OVRO Project

Drew etal:

Yes they are conducting EME.  I guess that satellite operators took note
that the freq. is 1296.025 and not 1268 MHz.
I have done an extensive analysis of what it will take to make EME contact
with OVRO.  On 1296 the minimum dish is 4-foot with minimum power of 20w.
See:
http://www.qsl.net/al7eb/emeOVROcalc.htm
There is a EME Path Calculator program you can click on to estimate you
likelyhood of hearing or being heard.

Also you should realise that the standard antenna for 1296 eme transmits in
RHCP and receives in LHCP.  If you have a CP dish your feed needs a the
capability to switch polarity sense.  If you have a linear-pol 1296 antenna
it will not matter but you will suffer a 3-dB penalty due to polarization
mismatch with normal CP EME stations.

I am going to try with my 8-foot dish and 60w.  I estimate an SNR of
approx. 12-dB.  I am also going to try with my dual loop-yagis where I may
just see barely a 1-dB SNR.

GL and 73's
Ed - KL7UW

At 03:44 PM 10/19/2005 -0400, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:
>All you AO-40 L banders with dishes wake up! Here's a chance to use that
gear this weekend.

>73, Drew KO4MA
>
>Subject: [Sbms] QST de W6IFE- OVRO Project
>

>Hello Lunar types,
>	We are officially going to be on the air this weekend on
>1296.025Mhz. We will be using the 140 foot dish at the Owens Valley
>Radio Observatory and the club call of the San Bernardino Microwave
>Society, W6IFE. We will be on at about 10:30pm PST. I will make an
>announcement on these reflectors as soon as we are on, but take no
>schedules or use any assistance per the contest rules. We would also
>appreciate SWL reports as well. QSL to K6JEY at the callbook
>address.  We will be on CW and SSB running 60 watts or so.
>You can email me with any questions.
>		Doug K6JEY

73's,
Ed - KL7UW