Re: satellite propulsion thrust equations

Hi Bob.

Thanks for the pointer to the NASA site and the description of Hohmann
transfer orbits. _ Particually the direction of thrust and the effect on where
apogee will occur. I have cut and pasted the Nasa graphic onto the MEOSAT page,
with due credit of course.

I take your point about the amount of fuel required but the ball park  figure
appears to be much less than a phase 3 bird.  The main  difference seems to
be that while electronics (and solar cell efficiency) has  progressed hugely in
the last 30 years, allowing minaturisation and 10 fold mass  saving, those
pesky Newtons laws haven't given us an improvement in 300  years.
Fortunately, with 'cubesat x 3' type structures, the fuel  requirement looks
modest.

Incidentally, I notice that the SSETI projects use of Nitrogen is providing
130m Newton attitude thrusters on Express but the next in the series, ESEO, is
 using 20 bar of pressure to achieve 10 Newtons of thrust for major changes
in  orbit.

Good luck with Eagle

Regards

David  G0MRF