Re: satellite propulsion thrust equations

Quoting Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>:

> I view your MEOSAT mission as likely to be of greater complexity than
> Phase 3.  That said,  those of us who pretend to be rocket scientists,
> can always miss a good idea.
>
> Bob
> N4HY

I wish to say just how much I've enjoyed this discussion.

Even if Bob's intution proves correct, I wonder if some of the ideas in MEOSAT
still pertain. In particular, I was intrigued by the idea of taking techniques
from LEO design, building with bare-bones simplicity, and sending the resulting
lighter craft to a higher orbit with less cost and difficulty. When we consider
the AMSAT mission statement (about which the Board candidates were delightfully
unanimous), might the additions to our constellation of HEOs built post-Eagle be
easier to achieve under those conditions? I'm assuming that in order to provide
the kind of gain that would be needed in a very small frame, an S-band downlink
would be preferable, and perhaps L-band up.

Finally, list members who enjoy these aspects of our organization, and who are
looking forward to the launch of SSETI Express as much as I, will find its
launch campaign logbook delightful reading:
 http://sseti.gte.tuwien.ac.at/express/mop/downloads/EXPRESS_E_ESA_Launch_Campaign_Logbook.pdf

Graham has mentioned this text before, but I thought I'd give it a third-party
recommendation. I very much appreciate the work this crew has put into
documenting their efforts.

73, Bruce VE9QRP