Re: satellite propulsion thrust equations

While not at its peak intensity, the radiation environment would be
intense and I think your bird would spend more time in this area than a
Phase 3 HEO.  We would have to do some detailed calculations but my
intuition tells me the total dosage would be higher in your bird.
Secondly,  the complexity in these satellites is not strictly the height
of the orbit BUT the need to carry a propulsion at all.  Once you have
crossed that threshold,  you might as well  optimize it for
communications.  You have also discovered what a huge boost (pun
intended) we are given in delta-V by getting off at GTO rather than at
LEO altitudes. To get to your altitude the satellite would have to carry
more fuel than a Phase 3 bird.  You would have to do two or more burns
to raise the satellite to your orbital height.   Pick two points on your
low orbit "180 degrees apart".  Align your rocket motor to the orbit at
ONE of them.  You burn the motor to raise the altitude of the OTHER
one.  Then you have to realign the satellite to orbit at the (now raised
high) other point and do the same burn.  This is called a Hohman
transfer and this exact scenario may be seen pictorially here:

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/rocket_sci/satellites/hohmann.html

I view your MEOSAT mission as likely to be of greater complexity than
Phase 3.  That said,  those of us who pretend to be rocket scientists,
can always miss a good idea.

Bob
N4HY