Re: satellite propulsion thrust equations

Hi  Drew,  /  Achim / Graham / Florio

I suppose the modern form of scribbling ideas on the back of an envelope is
sending them to a website for a wider audience.

Glad you liked it.  - Thank you for your comments.

Achim's .xls file is very interesting. Playing with the numbers produces
some very interesting results. The required delta V for the example is quite
high, 2000m/sec.  However, if you play with the mass and reduce the
specification of the propulsion system I see it's still possible to raise an  orbit from
something like AO-51 to a higer RS15 type orbit with a delta V of  just
200m/sec. Amazing.  Still, I shall keep looking at 7500km (ish)

I will try and become more familiar with some of the terms, then go off and
look at propulsion systems in more detail and their exhust velocities and try
to  figure out the necessary vectors required to ensure the thrust pushes the
satellite in the appropriate direction.

Something to do on the next rainy night in London. (not long to wait  then!)

Regards

David  G0MRF

www.g0mrf.freeserve.co.uk/MEOSAT.htm

David,

That is a very well written page, and an excellent idea. If  you take it just
a small step further, there are launches to 22-23k circular  orbits coming up
(soon?) in the Galileo program and maybe replacement GPS birds  too. Who
knows if we could get out foot in the door on one of these, but it is  worth
checking into...I'm not sure these are direct to this orbit, or if the  Galileo and
GPS s/c include their own propulsion though.

73, Drew  KO4MA