Re: Satellite ranging

Andrew,

I just finished reading a paper about this very topic:

Morrison, D., Pogorelc, S, Celano, T, and Gifford, A, 2002, Ephemeris
determination using a connected element interferometer, 34th Annual
Precise Time and Time Interval (PTTI) meeting, p. 295-307.
http://www.timing.com/products/pubs/Coherent_Interferometer.pdf

Basically, the paper says that if you have two very expensive timing
stations (many $10's of thousands) connected by a fiber optic link, some
very talented professionals, and a lot of time, you can determine MEO
satellite positions to within a few meters, GEOs to a few kilometers.

73,
W9IP