RE: Mode L Transverter

Ron,

Also look at Downeast Microwave (DEMI):
144/1268 Tx converter with 20mw output (assembled&tested) ... $280
2330PA 30w linear with 25mw input (probably 24w out when driven by the
converter) ... $200
total ...$480

The TekSharp converter and 15w PA total $530

But you might get by with the 1268-144TX 3w converter* from DEMI ...$ 345
*Note you might need a higher gain 1.2 GHz antennas to achieve enough
uplink signal with the 3w model.

As yet there has been no link analysis for P3E or Eagle so it is hard to
judge what power and antenna gain one needs.
For AO-51 I suspect 3w would do fine if you were to mount the unit at the
antenna.  Coax loss is severe at 1.2 GHz so many chose the antenna-mount
location to avoid this.

Also Kuhne Engineering makes a 144/1268 converter which is available in the
USA from SSB Electronics.

73's Ed - KL7UW
PS:  I have the original DEMI 144/1268 15w Tx converter (no longer available)
http://www.qsl.net/al7eb/sat.htm