RE: Not the crossboom tread again! Yikes!

I did the same thing, with good results.  I would recommend some sort of cap
to keep water from entering the tube and the wooden core.  I cut the wood
about 2" shorter than the tube, and centered it.  Then, I stood the boom up
vertically, and filled the end with RTV.  After it hardened, I swapped ends
and repeated the process.  After 10+ years, the end seals still look good.

Alan
WA4SCA