Not the crossboom tread again! Yikes!

----- Original Message -----

> Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:05:21 -0500
> From: Dave, N0RQ
> Subject: [amsat-bb] horizontal boom

> For the horizontal boom that goes through the elevation portion of the
> G-5500, what is a reasonable material to use?  The specs say it can
> be between 1 1/4" and 1 5/8".  A normal vertical mast is 2" (or more),
> so getting one of those won't work.  What about heavy electrical
> conduit, say 1 1/2", from Home Depot / Lowes?  Perhaps a 10'
> piece?  This stuff is heavy, though I don't know how strong it is.
> (I don't mean the lightweight thin-walled EMT.)
>
> I know a bit about the debate of maybe using fiberglass, and I
> could do that if it was readily available and reasonably economincal.

Hi Dave,

I found a cheaper alternative to fiberglass that may be worth a look.

Check plumbing supply houses for Schedule 80 PVC. This stuff is grey,
but don't mistake it for electrical conduit. Schedule 80 has a VERY thick
wall, about twice
as thick as schedule 40 PVC. My local plumbing house sold me a 5 foot
section for about $8.

At the time, my elevation rotor was an Alliance-style through-mast type that
would only accept
about 1 - 1.5" crossbooms. The SCH 80 did bow a little when holding my KLM
14c and 18c beams
5 feet apart, so  I opted to go full QRO and I drove a wooden rod inside the
PVC.

If your rotor allows a 2" crossboom, I have no doubt that SCH 80 alone would
work.

73 and GL,

Kyle Yoksh
K0KN