Re: Mobile/Portable Satellite Operations

With all the talk about mobile portable operating, I made an attempt
to listen to a few sats today from my mobile in work (Yaesu FT-857 or
TM-D700). I have no possibility of putting up external antenna for
satellite work, though I was considering construction of eggbeaters
that I could put in the attic possibly (I'm using the gutter as a HF
antenna, and I have one vhf/uhf collinear on the chimney).

Other than ISS, I really wasn't able to hear enough that I thought I
could attempt to make a QSO with.  To my surprise and delight, when I
got home this evening a shiny new Arrow was waiting for me... carried
back here by a friend of mine.  I just managed to catch AO-50's pass
at  18:42 UTC this evening (Orbit 14985) using a Kenwood TH-F7 (I
have a D7 for APRS, but I left it in work accidentally)

It was very interesting waving the antenna about trying to pick to
the sat as soon as possible, and what a blast it was... I've
forgotten the stations callsigns (my niece interrupted me)... but
anyway, would anyone have any advice for a newbie?

The TH-D7 manual says that it can do between 5 and 6 watts on 12
Volts, would this be enough in to the Arrow to be heard through one
of the FM sats? (I've a rigrunner in the boot of my car).

Regards, thanks for the 'kick', and any help advice appreciated.

De John
EI7IG

--
John Ronan <jronan@tssg.org>, +353-51-302938
Telecommunications Software &  Systems Group,  http://www.tssg.org

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]