Re: Mobile/Portable Satellite Operations

The one thing you will never get with the cellphone (at least without
paying an arm and a leg for it) is the "social" aspect of getting on
the radio and calling "QRZ?"  It's also very hard to have nets via
cellphone .. the protocol is designed for point to point, and it just
doesn't adapt well to nets or CQ-style calls.

Cellphone just doesn't match the excitement of meeting someone on the
air hundreds of miles away on a barefoot HT.  I know plenty of people
in Houston I can call on a cell from Austin, it's not that
interesting.  When I can talk to someone in Tomball on 440 who's
making it into an Austin repeater via ducting from his car, that's
something special.  When I can get onto IRLP from the same machine
using my DTMF pad and talk to someone in England, that's even more
so.  And let's not forget late night BS nets and ice cream runs on 2
meters.  Try those with a cellphone .. heh.

(Not to mention that the HT will still work just fine after a Cat 5
hurricane or F5 tornado has taken just about everything else down .. ;-)

On Oct 3, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Dave G. wrote:

> Excuse me but I just thought of this :-))
>
> What's the real difference between using a cell phone and
> using an HT through one of the birds??
>
> With a cell phone, I don't need to know any technology, I
> know with whom I wish to talk and I know how to get hold of
> them.
>
> With an HT through a bird, I don't need to know any
> technology,I don't know with whom I'm going to talk or even
> IF I'll get anyone...
>
> There it is... the spirit of the Ham Radio,  the joy of
> venturing into the unknown  :-))
>
> "Out There!"  Cpt. James T. Kirk
>
> All in fun...
>
> Dave KK7SS

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]