Re: Apathy

Don Woodward wrote:

>Great attitude Robin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Not everyone has the money for the Presidents club - I did send $100
>plus for Echo back when.
>
>Monday I'll be canceling my membership!
>
>73's
>
>Don Woodward
>KD4APP
>AMSAT 33535
>
>On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 12:02 -0400, VEFRH@aol.com wrote:
>

>>But don't
>>grumble unless you are an active subscribing member of the
>>President's club.
>>Satellites do not grow on trees.

Don,

I too was taken back by this statement.  Any member of AMSAT has the
right to express their opinions.  Granted, the opinions of those who are
able to significantly contribute financially to the organization may
carry more weight (politics and human nature), it is a slap in the face
to all loyal members to be told they have no 'right' to grumble unless
they are members of the President's Club.  Horse hockey!!!

Rather than canceling your membership tomorrow, may I suggest you hang
onto it for one very simple reason--change.  The only way to counter the
elitist attitudes such as this (and countless others rampant in AMSAT)
is to work from within the organization as a member.  And yes, we simple
members can change things!  As members we have two very strong
tools--our votes for Board members (a sad showing again this year with
regard to the number of members taking time to use this tool) and in our
voices.

Changes can happen--but not from a mass member exodus.

Regards -- Bruce, WB9ANQ

--
Bruce Rahn

Wisdom has two parts: