Re: Apathy

I am just a total novice to satellite operation so if you folks think I'm
off base in my observations and opinions, feel free to shoot me down. ;-)
 It seems to me that the LEO sats like AO-51 are a good way to generate
interest in the satellite program. When the average ham finds out he can
possibly have a two way sat QSO with relatively simple equipment like a dual
band handheld and Arrow antenna, I'm sure it piques their interest. That's
what happened to me anyway. As soon as I found that out, I hooked up my dual
band mobile rig to a 2 meter ground plane and began listening for the
downlink of AO-51. It's probably old hat for most of you  but I can't
describe the rush I got when I first heard signals. All I could think about
was satellites anf how I wanted to do that.
 That being said though, after I did some more listening  and began to
research things, I realized that AO-51 would be fun but that it would not be
all that I wanted.
 I wanted a full blown satellite station. After a lot of hard work in
convincing the XYL and a lot of worrying over which rig to buy, I finally
got my Kenwood TS-2000X. That might not be full blown to some of you but it
was the best option for me. I went back and forth also about buying it with
the 1.2Ghz. module also but in the end I decided  it was best to get the rig
with it. Now I'm struggling to get an antenna and rotator sytem together. I
have to sell a lot of my older euipment to finance that. I'm looking forward
to more HEO's too but as the bands they operate on  get higher and higher in
frequency, I start to wonder if I'll be able to afford to keep up. I'm on a
pretty tight radio budget and preamps and moust mount amplifiers, low loss
line etc. etc. can add up quick.
 Being relatively new and on the outside looking in, I think the main thing
that turns a lot of people off to sats is the cost of getting operational.
Is it just me or does it seem like the HEO's are continuing this trend?
Myself, I'd still like to see some new design linear transponder sat's
operating on Oscar 7 type modes and such.
 Take this for what it is,  like I say I'm anewcomer and still learing as I
go but these are my thoughts on the subject.
BTW,  I'm not an AMSAT member yet, but I will be. My 43rd, (uuugh) birthday
is in October and I'm looking at membership for my B'day present. Thats how
tight a budget I'm on! :-)
73,
Michael, W4HIJ