Re: Apathy

Jerry Pixton wrote:

> At 03:36 PM 9/30/2005 -0500, Rick Vidmar  -  K9KK wrote:
>
>> NO HEOs
>

> Amen to that.
>
> After listening to the mess on AO-51 I pulled the switch on my
> satellite station some six months ago. Why anyone would waste money on
> a single channel FM bird is beyond me.
>
> I have moved to a new qth and guess which part of my station was
> operational first? Not the satellite part! I do plan for the oscar
> antennas to be put up within the next two months. And I will be ready
> whenever we get another HEO up there. Plan on getting L band transmit
> next summer.
>
> And it has always been my observation that activity always slows down
> in the summer.
>
> Jerry, W6IHG

AHAH!!!
Now I've found the thread I've been waiting for from the BB user's about
lack of enthusiasm-or apathy.  I have been to numerous Hamfests,
meetings and other ham gatherings as the NJ AMSAT Co-ordinator.   I have
taken extensive non scientific polls and well over 90% of them inidcate
that the satellite activity, or lack thereof, is created by the loss of
HEO's-especially VHF-UHF types.(Hams hate to upgrade!??)
It breaks down as this- 92% HEO analog - 5% HEO or LEO analog - 3%
digital sats. Remember, this is not scientific-just my observations by
asking questions.
I have repeatedly sent my findings to the BOD and DO express YOUR views
to them. They do honestly listen (and H E A R what you are telling them!)
I know that many of you have taken a stance that until an "Operational
HEO" is in place, you would then think about supporting AMSAT.  That is
not the time since NOW is the time when donations are needed to fund the
projects to put thes satellites in place.  If  would be users would all
join and support AMSAT's efforts NOW, we could get the birds that are
asked for.  If you do donate, "indicate what your donation is to be used
for!"  Your voices will be heard and efforts redirected to those goals.
I will be at the "BARA" hamfest in Westwood, NJ on Oct.8th. If you
attend this Hamfest, stop by and discuss YOUR opinion and donate to your
favorite area and purchase that new tracking program for "winter
operation" on the birds.
73,
Dee, NB2F
LM2324
NJ AMSAT Co-ordinator(question answerer??)