Re: Fwd: Received RS-15 beacon (29.532 MHz)

Does anyone know the catalog number for RS-15?  I can't find any
names in the space-track.org keps that remotely match any name for
RS-15.  The AMSAT site lists 24330 and 23439, but the inclinations
don't match RS-15.

-Freeman

On Oct 1, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Emily Clarke wrote:

> One of the new hams in my area mentioned on our weekly net last
> night that he had received the RS-15 beacon very strong, so I
> thought I would pass this along to the BB and the WSR.
>
> Just a note - someone who reads Shawn's entire report will probably
> wonder why a new ham would have a 160m loop and I thought I would
> take the time to mention that Shawn is a new ham, but went from
> tech to extra class in a matter of weeks.  It is always thrilling
> to meet new hams of Shawn's calibre and now that the bug has bitten
> him I hope we will get him hooked on AMSAT activities.
>
> 73,
>
> Emily
>

>> From: "Shawn Morford" <ShawnMorford@msn.com>
>> To: <w0eec@amsat.org>
>> Subject: Received RS-15 beacon (29.532 MHz)
>> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:33:31 -0700
>>
>> Emily,
>>
>> I received the subject beacon this morning during an RS-15 pass
>> but I was not meticulous in taking notes.  Fortunately, there was
>> another excellent RS-15 pass just now and the beacon came through
>> again quite clearly.  Details are outlined below:
>>
>> My call sign & address
>> ---------------------
>> KG6ZHC
>> Shawn Morford
>> 755 Sharon Park Drive
>> Menlo Park, CA  94025
>>
>> My location (home QTH)
>> -----------------------
>> Grid: CM87vk
>> Latitude: 37 degrees, 26 minutes, 15 seconds, North
>> Longitude: 122 degrees, 12 minutes, 28 seconds, West
>>
>> RS-15 Pass
>> -----------
>> UTC 01-OCT-2005
>> AOS:  05:11  (UTC)
>> LOS:  05:40  (UTC)
>> This was a nice, long, close pass.  Maximum elevation angle was 60
>> degrees (looking west over the Pacific).  Minimum range was 2,289
>> km (occurred at the maximum elevation angle).
>>
>> Frequency and nature of received signal
>> --------------------------------------
>> I expected the RS-15 beacon on 29.532 MHz, therefore I set my
>> receiver to 29.351 MHZ USB and waited for a 1KHz tone.  My
>> satellite tracking software automatically calculated the necessary
>> doppler shifts and applied them to my receiver.
>>
>> Theoretical AOS:  05:09:34 (UTC, 01-OCT-2005)
>> Actual AOS:  05:11
>>
>> Theoretical LOS:  05:41:17
>> Actual LOS:  05:40
>>
>> With both 746PRO preamps turned on, signal strength varied
>> anywhere from noise level to 4 S-units above the noise level.
>> Average signal strength was about 2 S-units above the noise.  With
>> my receiver tuned as mentioned above, I heard a 1 KHz tone as
>> follows:
>> 1 second on, 3 seconds off, 1 second on, 3 seconds off, etc.
>> The "off" period was not always 3 seconds.  The "off" period was
>> sometimes 4, 5, 8, or even 10 seconds.
>>
>> My equipment
>> Transceiver:  ICOM 746PRO
> [...]

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
     -- Sir Winston Churchill

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of PGP.sig]