VOX on TH-D7

Has anyone tried to get the audio from a second HT into the Kenwood VOX adaptor HMC-3 that is sold for the TH-D7?

I use the aTH-D7 for the uplink in V/S, and an Icom HT for the downlink, following the converter.  The TH-D7 is used because it is capable of VOX using the HMC-3 adaptor.  I managed to rewire the very skimpy adaptor to mate with a Heil headset and boom mic.  But somehow I need to get the audio from the downlink into that headphone.  So far no luck, so I have to wear 2 headphones!  Very unwieldy to say the least.

I have tried to