IARU Region 1

SERGEI KRIKALEV SENDS GREETINGS TO IARU REGION 1 GENERAL CONFERENCE

The International Amateur Radio Union comprises three Regions. Region 1
covers Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Northern Asia. Region 1 convened
its tri-annual General Conference in Davos, Switzerland 11-15 September
2005.

150 delegates from 56 countries participated and considered over 130
papers, giving rise to 70 Recommendations.

At the opening ceremony, Sunday 11 September, the delegates were surprised
to receive greetings from Space. A video was shown with Sergei Krikalev,
U5MIR, ISS Expedition 11 Commander, sending greetings to the General
Conference.

Krikalev's message was in Russian. It should be considered as a token of
appreciation of Rosaviacosmos / Energia towards the amateur radio
community. The message translates:

"Dear delegates to the Conference of the International Amateur Radio Union,

"In the name of the crew of the International Space Station I congratulate
you to the opening of the Region 1 meeting and wish you successful
proceedings.

"Here onboard of the International Space Station we also have an amateur
radio station and when we have spare time we work and contact with pleasure
radio amateurs of the whole world.

"Great success to you and good bye !!"

Among the Recommendations approved by the Conference is the creation of a
permanent Region 1 working group in charge of amateur radio activities
related to Space Exploration.

PS: Krikalev's video message is available for download on the Archive page
of ARISS-Europe website www.ariss-eu.org

73
Gaston Bertels, ON4WF
ARISS-Europe chairman