Re: AMSAT-BB-digest V2004 #877

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:08:56 -0400
> From: Joe Leikhim
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Brand New ICOM W32A for ISS
>
> Hi I have a brand new W32A handheld bought from AES this last weekend at
> Melbourne Florida Hamfest.
>
> I am trying to program in the FM Hamsats and the International Space
> Station repeaters. As you can see below the uplink for the ISS is below
> the 440 MHz bandedge for the W32A
>
> ISS International Space Station
> Repeater Uplink: _*437.800 MHz FM*_
> Repeater Downlink: 145.800 MHz FM
>
> I have been advised conflicting information as to the procedure to
> expand the 440 band transmitter to accomplish this. Some advise to press
> various key selections on the radio, while others suggest removing D-523
> (a dual diode?).
>
> Can anyone advise if they have modified a recently purchased W32A?
>
> This radio replaces a T81A which I was able to make such a modification.
> Unfortunately that radio was stolen from me and the W32A is my
> replacement radio.
>
> *I have Googled and am aware of all the various modifications out there.
> I am just trying to hear from someone who has made the mod receintly (on
> a newer radio) and what procedure specifically that they used.*
>
> Thanks in advance.
> - --
> Joe Leikhim K4SAT
> "The RFI-EMI-GUY"

Hi Joe,

A quick google resulted in a possible solution from the keypad: (Found on
the mods.dk site)

---
Simply move UHF to the left side of the display, and VHF to the right side.
If you haven't already, turn the radio on while holding down the squelch and
band button. Mine opened right up. I now have coverage from 118.00 to
174.00, and 400.00 to 474.00. Display has to stay as is. If you reverse
them, it won't work. BTW, transmit works great also.

---

Also, the W32 is programmable via PC. Maybe there is a software mod
available?

I have recently had success doing this with my Yaesu VX5r HT. I'm not
against a little
surgery to mod a rig, but if it can be done in software...Besides,
programming memories and alpha
tags via PC is much easier. Should you ever need to perform a reset on the
rig, you can have
the rig back up and running in minutes!

73 and GL,

Kyle Yoksh