Re: Mirage Preamp

On 15 Sep 2005 at 15:34, William Fry wrote:

> Hi all,
> anyone on here have any experience with the Mirage 2 Metre preamp. Need
> some help/advise on repairing same. Please reply off list, thanks, Bill,
> VO1OR.
> --
> If You Don't Ask, You Will Never Know !!

I just installed one last week in the shack for testing before putting it at the antenna.

Where i got signal on the FT-847 meter below half a S unit the preamp with the 15 DB gain setting give a s7 signal with near

no noticeable increased in the noise level. When no signal reading can be detected the preamp shows up 2 S units and at
times no signal at all but i can hear a bit better...! i still don't understand why.

BUT as a any story there is an ugly part...  i have to return it back last Monday as the preamp stop working. The internal
relay switch back and forth when he sense RF or not but suddenly he switch off while i was transmitting...You know the final

outcome...he does not preamplify anymore... I was TXing in phone FM with 50W spec says relay can withstand 100W. I'm asking
myself how he will handle full break in CW?

To be continued...next week! stay tuned

"-"
"That a democracy can't do certain things if in fact its citizens don't support it"
Lieutenant general James Conway June 16 2005.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
AMSAT 33583
www.qsl.net/ve2dwe