RE: CubeSat Article

That's a good start. How about: www.cubesat.org

We have just started to establish a team to build, launch and operate a
CubeSat by 2007 here in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If we get the funding our high
school students will develop the scientific payload, the college and
university students will do the other steps. We are also planning on using
amateur radio as the communication backbone which will be great for
attracting our "kids" to the hobby. We are planning a "launch camp" for all
the students next year that will include teaching for the license, the exam,
operating a ground station, building antennas, working satellites etc. Our
local "Manitoba Satellite Interest Group" (MSIG) will assist in this
exciting project. I am are certainly looking forward to this group (AMSAT
BB) for assistance and I strongly believe that AMSAT (the organization)
could position itself very well by establishing a committee for CubeSat
coordination and assistance.

For example:

1. We need a lessons learned information papers (many CubeSats seem to fail
for one reason or the other right from the beginning or after some time)

2. We need expert advice on the radios, batteries, solar panels etc. What
has worked, what doesn't.

3. We need folks to offer advice/courses in CubeSat projects (how about
generating revenue for our next satellite, by teaching others how to do it).

4. How about a book on Amateur Radio and Cubesats

5. The list is going on and on.

I am certainly willing to help and put my time and effort in this project.
Maybe others want to join and we can assist the AMSAT board to set something
like this up. There will be more and more CubeSats out there. We are either
part of it and lead or are left outside.

Thanks for listening (or should I say reading?)

Stefan, VE4NSA
AMSAT Coordinator, Manitoba