Re: Online atomic clock

Sorry about the cross post, but this is becoming interesting.

Tony Langdon (ATC) wrote:
>>This recent thread caused me to wonder about the dynamic
>>nature of the internet and variable propagation delays. Does
>>anyone know the relative accuracy - at your computer - of
>>"internet" timing services as compared to "hard-wired" timing
>>services as are available in many cities in many countries?

For the APRS crowd... does any one have a clue how to discipline the PC
clock from GPS?? Sounds interesting!

> For Internet based timekeeping, NTP is your best bet, as NTP does all it can
> to compensate for propagation/packet delivery delays.  For specs, the RFC on
> NTP (it'll be a heavy read :) ) will tell you the answer, but I believe the
> accuracy can be surprisingly high, especially if you choose a time server
> that's relatively close to you and then use full NTP (rather than SNTP) to
> that server. SNTP is good for sycing between a gateway time server on your
> LAN and all the other PCs, if acuracy is important.

snipped...

FWIW, I use Tardis 2000/K9 (the Doctor Who fans will appreciate it!)
Tardis is an NTP client... gets the time from an NTP service, as well as
a server, serving the time to other PCs on your LAN. K9 is the
client-only app which runs on the LAN PCs. Both will run as a service on
Win2k, tardis has a 1K memory footprint, K9 similar.

There are Linux versions!

http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/tardis.htm

Disclaimer: I have no association with the writer, distributor or seller
of the software, simply a long time satisfied customer

--
Norm, VK2XCI,
Mildura, Australia