Re: overlaping satellites

Vaisily,

It was interesting thinking about your question. I only have 5 minutes left of my lunch break, so here's a quick couple thoughts...

If you have two sats of similar orbits (where paths of travel are parallel, and velocities are nearly identical), your proposition is feasable. However, if these conditions are not met, you run into two problems:

1.) DOPPLER. If the satellites are approaching each other, the relative velocities are HUGE in comparison. The sats won't hear each other.

2.) Pointing Loss. If the satellite has directional antennas pointing at Earth, the other sat will not hear it either.

Geosynchronous sats wouldn't have this prob, but, then again, the footprints for those sats are so large, who cares!!

I'd be interested in hearing additional comments. Didn't have a lot of time to think about it, so their could be other reasons...

Matt Bennett
KF6RTB

Vaisliy -- AA3YV <vg@evasik.com> wrote:
Hello All,

Are there any satellites where the downlink of one overlaps with the
uplink of another? I was wondering if it's possible to relay through
two such sats when their positions are close to each other to "connect"
their footprints.

--
Vasiliy AA3YV