DSP-2232 Problem

Folks

I have a DSP-2232 here that keeps getting confused: I get a cmd: prompt but
then anything I key in isn't recognised, with assorted errors like "?not
enough" among others even with the most basic commands, like MYCALL for
example. Random characters sometimes appear on the LCD display. Something's
working somewhere as it decodes packets on the LCD and to the RS-232 port.

Sometimes I can get it to reset, but always at the wrong moment it won't
reset: it often won't even accept the RESET command.

I'm almost always operating it in 1200bps VHF packet (modem 12).

The firmware is Dec 1993 ver 7.0.

All help graciously received.

73, Howard G6LVB