Re: Symposium Alternatives

Barry Baines wrote:

> Folks:
>
> We are actively evaluating options regarding the future of the 2005
> AMSAT Symposium.   This includes relocating to a different site or
> perhaps canceling the Symposium itself.  We expect to make a decision
> later this week.  While we have not formally cancelled the Symposium
> at Lafayette, we are working on the presumption that we will not be
> able to meet at Lafayette.
>
> The BOD will likely look at this issue as a two-step process:
>
> 1.  Given that AMSAT will not be at Lafayette, do we relocate to
> another site or cancel the Symposium?
> 2.  If the Symposium is relocated to a different site, where should
> we go?
>
> To assist in this decision process, it would be very helpful to gain
> input from our AMSAT members and others regarding their thinking on
> attending this year's AMSAT Symposium given recent events.  I am
> seeking input from those individuals who are not BOD members, Senior
> Officers (those selected by the BOD), nor key personnel on the Eagle
> Team since presumably these people will attend the Symposium no
> matter where it is held.
>
> Our intent is to keep the same dates (7-9 OCT) and basic agenda as
> what has been scheduled for Lafayette.  Please consider the following
> scenarios and let me know your thoughts on the following alternatives:
>
> 1. If you are currently registered to attend the AMSAT Symposium at
> Lafayette and the Symposium was relocated to a different city, do you
> still plan to attend?  (If you are not currently registered, please
> skip this question).
>
>  Please place an 'X' to the left of your response:
>   -Yes
>   -No
>
> 2.  If you are not currently registered to attend the AMSAT
> Symposium, would you now attend the AMSAT Symposium if it were held
> at one of the following locations the weekend of 7-9 OCT?  Please
> place an 'X' to the left of each city that you'd be willing to travel
> (Select as many locations as you'd be willing to attend).
>
>   -Baltimore-Washington area
>   -Cleveland, OH
>   -Cincinnati, OH
>   -Orlando, FL
>   -Pittsburgh, PA
>   -San Francisco, CA
>   -Tampa, FL
>   -Tulsa, OK
>
> 3.  If you answered 'Yes' to Question 1 or selected at least one city
> in Question 2,  and room rates were higher than the current $75.00/
> night rate for Lafayette would you still be willing to attend the
> 2005 AMSAT Symposium?  Please place an X next to highest room rate
> level that you'd be willing to pay to attend the Symposium:
>
>   -$75 to $80/night
>   -$80 to $89/night
>   -$90 to $99/night
>   ->$99/night
>
> Please enter your response to the left of each question and send it
> [...]
You know its been a while but you may want to consider Orlando, Florida
as on television they have been stating that have hotel and convention
center availabilities and have after those that were attempting to use
New Orleans or that area to consider Orlando as they have openings.

Just a thought.

Reid, W4UPD