Symposium Alternatives

Folks:

We are actively evaluating options regarding the future of the 2005
AMSAT Symposium.   This includes relocating to a different site or
perhaps canceling the Symposium itself.  We expect to make a decision
later this week.  While we have not formally cancelled the Symposium
at Lafayette, we are working on the presumption that we will not be
able to meet at Lafayette.

The BOD will likely look at this issue as a two-step process:

1.  Given that AMSAT will not be at Lafayette, do we relocate to
another site or cancel the Symposium?
2.  If the Symposium is relocated to a different site, where should
we go?

To assist in this decision process, it would be very helpful to gain
input from our AMSAT members and others regarding their thinking on
attending this year's AMSAT Symposium given recent events.  I am
seeking input from those individuals who are not BOD members, Senior
Officers (those selected by the BOD), nor key personnel on the Eagle
Team since presumably these people will attend the Symposium no
matter where it is held.

Our intent is to keep the same dates (7-9 OCT) and basic agenda as
what has been scheduled for Lafayette.  Please consider the following
scenarios and let me know your thoughts on the following alternatives:

1. If you are currently registered to attend the AMSAT Symposium at
Lafayette and the Symposium was relocated to a different city, do you
still plan to attend?  (If you are not currently registered, please
skip this question).

  Please place an 'X' to the left of your response:
   -Yes
   -No

2.  If you are not currently registered to attend the AMSAT
Symposium, would you now attend the AMSAT Symposium if it were held
at one of the following locations the weekend of 7-9 OCT?  Please
place an 'X' to the left of each city that you'd be willing to travel
(Select as many locations as you'd be willing to attend).

   -Baltimore-Washington area
   -Cleveland, OH
   -Cincinnati, OH
   -Orlando, FL
   -Pittsburgh, PA
   -San Francisco, CA
   -Tampa, FL
   -Tulsa, OK

3.  If you answered 'Yes' to Question 1 or selected at least one city
in Question 2,  and room rates were higher than the current $75.00/
night rate for Lafayette would you still be willing to attend the
2005 AMSAT Symposium?  Please place an X next to highest room rate
level that you'd be willing to pay to attend the Symposium:

   -$75 to $80/night
   -$80 to $89/night
   -$90 to $99/night
   ->$99/night

Please enter your response to the left of each question and send it
to wd4asw@amsat.org no later than 1200 EDT on Tuesday, 6 SEP.  Please
do not hit 'reply' as your response doesn't need to be sent to the
entire amsat-bb and we need to ensure that I receive your input.  I
will tabulate the results for distribution to the AMSAT BOD which
will discuss this question on Tuesday evening.  If you wish to add
comments to your reply, please feel free to do so, but please ensure
that you complete the questionnaire as well so that I can easily
complete the tabulation.  Please note that any comments made will be
attributed to the individual who made them.  By completing this
questionnaire, you are not obligating yourself to attending
Symposium. Please recognize, however, that your input is very
important and that the tabulation and received comments will be taken
seriously by the BOD in its deliberations.

73

Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Marketing & User Services/BOD Member
AMSAT-NA