RE: Emergency in LA

On 2 Sep 2005 at 17:52, Steve wrote:

> I think the time to “demonstrate the efficiency of the Satellite Amateur
> Service” is before an emergency takes place. The image of a ham playing
> around with his portable satellite station while surrounded by starving
> survivors and looters doesn’t look like very good publicity to me.
> Steve .. AI7W

I conquer and i added it is not a time to show up but to act. The first way AMSAT-NA  should act is to postponed his
convention and free up rooms for those who are in a desperately needs.

Here in Quebec we suffer a gigantic flooding in the Saguenay region and an ice storm where people have to live without power
for months.(Thank's for all the international aid) I still try to understand the magnitude of this disaster but i believe
what they need is basically to survive. We will don't get any good press to present us with our satellite gears but if we
show up actively with manpower on the ground with portable repeaters and HT'S this could be giving some help. I said could
be as we are not there but as far Mayor Ray Nagin said it's not the time for PR or press conference operations...

I suggest first the total Echo funds to be directed to the American Red Cross and i will added the equivalent of my AMSAT
membership cost to that fund and i urged those who can pressure or influence to ask United State to accept international
aid. It is not the time to show the world that america will prevail when human people are dying.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
AMSAT 33583