Arizona Balloon Flight Saturday

I came across this on another list, and thought it might be of interests to
some.

Alan
WA4SCA

Arizona Near Space Research (ANSR) is pleased to announce the flight
of ANSR-25. This high altitude balloon flight will take place on
Saturday,
September 3rd at 8:00 AM MST (1500 UTC).

The launch site will be announced closer to the flight date and will
be based on winds aloft.

The balloon will be a 1200-gram weather balloon, filled with helium.
The expected burst altitude will be 90,000 feet or more. The flight
is anticipated to last about 2.5 hours from launch to touchdown.

The flight will be an attempt to set three (3) records as part of the
2005 Onset ARHAB (Amateur Radio High Altitude Ballooning Record)
competition. The portion we are attempting on this flight includes:

1. VHF/UHF Greatest Telemetry Distance (APRS on 445.950 MHz)
2. HF Greatest Telemetry Distance (PSK-31 on 14070.450 KHz)
3. Greatest 2-way QSO Distance (Cross Band Voice Repeater)

We are requesting your assistance, especially distant stations, in
our attempt to set these records. We encourage and greatly appreciate
everyone's efforts in forwarding this announcement to anyone, local
or DX, who may be interested in participating, as well as cross-
postings to users groups and your favorite Amateur Radio websites,
weblogs, reflectors, etc.

VHF/UHF stations in Southern California, New Mexico, and Colorado
Mountain Tops would work best for the 2-way QSO and telemetry
attempts.

Stations 800-1200 miles down range from Arizona would have the best
shot at hearing our PSK-31 HF beacon. See the following propagation
maps for best listening locations.

http://www.kd7lmo.net/psk31_propagation.html

The following is the payload frequency plan:

Cross Band NB-FM Voice Repeater
Input: 145.560 MHz/162.2 Hz PL tone
Output: 445.525 MHz

APRS when repeater not in use on 445.950 MHz at 10, 20, 40, and 50
seconds GPS time via KD7LMO-11

Landing prediction after burst at 15 and 45 seconds GPS time via
KD7LMO-0

Linked to IRLP reflector 9255 * See Note below

Pico Beacon APRS:
445.950 MHz packet at 00 and 30 seconds GPS time via KD7LMO-11

Our mobile cross band Digipeater will repeat the APRS data to the
144.390 MHz standard APRS frequency and thus will be I-GATED to the
Internet for out-of-area trackers. You may track the flight using
either of the following links:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kd7lmo-11
http://map.aprsworld.net/kd7lmo-11

The HF Digital Mode Beacon (PSK31) on 14070.450 KHz will be easily
recognized as follows: "Balloon QSL www.kd7lmo.net" followed by time,
altitude, coordinates, and signed "de AC7ZT".

Digital DX'ers are invited to respond to our beacon. Information on
our first flown HF beacon (ANSR-19) can be found by following this
link:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/ansr_19.html

PSK31 contacts are logged at:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/ansr_19_hfaprs.html

Please email your "packet received" acknowledgment to:
mgray@...

or mail your QSL card to:
James Spindler
PO Box 513
Tempe, AZ 85280-0513

Flight data logs, technical information, photos, etc. can be found at:
www.kd7lmo.net

Current flight information will be posted at:
www.ansr.org

ANSR's high-altitude ballooning email reflector can be found at:

Thank you for your participation and/or assistance in spreading the
word about ANSR-25.

* NOTE on IRLP reflector. When you connect, the node will report you
are connected to the Western States Reflector 925 on channel 5. This
channel has been reserved for high altitude balloon flights. Remember
to key your transmitter for 2 seconds BEFORE you begin to talk. Also,
when you join the node, please listen 10-15 seconds before
transmitting. The cross band repeater is also used for our tracking
and recovery team.

73's
The ANSR crew