Svalbard JW/G6LVB/P mini report

Folks

Just returned from 78 degrees north tonight. I managed to work many folks on
AO-51, FO-29 and a few on GO-32. I attempted AO-7 a couple of times, but had
no luck.

I apologise to the Japanese amateurs listening for me. The schedule I had
was not great for working FO-29 into JA, with mutual visibilities being
about 3am. Locating a viable location for 1 to 2 degrees elevation to the
east was not at all good - the area I was in was pretty mountainous, and
access to good locations is difficult and dangerous without being trained in
such household items as a high calibre rifle to fend off the polar bears.

It can also be a bit chilly!

As I was there primarily to configure a remote groundstation, this work took
priority.

In the end I did have a quick go on HF but it was totally dead.

As for Svalbard itself, I can recommend it - 13 or so passes per polar
orbiting LEO each day, an astonishing number of them almost 'overhead', some
outstanding places to eat, and it's duty free.

Operating conditions were not ideal http://www.g6lvb.com/images/sval006.jpg,
although at night you don't need a torch to see where you're going
http://www.g6lvb.com/images/sval007.jpg. The accommodations can be basic
http://www.g6lvb.com/images/sval005.jpg.

Please, all QSLs direct (I am QTHR).

73, Howard G6LVB