Re: FT-847

Simon,

One particular situation I have run into involves the
downlink scheme of a satellite we're designing called
UCISAT-1. Almost all of UCISAT's hardware was
purchased before I joined the team, leaving me an
interesting challenge of making everything work
together w/o purchasing new hardware (unless
absolutely critical). The satellite will uplink and
downlink on the same frequency in the 440 MHz band.
This is not so different from the design of PCSAT
(NO-44), except that PCSAT operates on 2m, where
Doppler shift isn't more than +/- 3 kHz or so. In our
case, Doppler will be more on the order of +/- 11 kHz!
This leaves us only one option for operation with the
847: split frequency VFO mode (thanks to Ed Cole and
others for their help with this!). Now the 847 will be
able to transmit at the appropriate uplink frequency,
then instantly tune to the downlink frequency once the
mic is unkeyed. Only problem I have found with this so
far is the same problem you're inquiring about: you
can't use SAT mode or computer control for this mode!!

At the moment, I'm trying to get ahold of the authors
of Wisp to see if they'd wish to help write software
that will accomplish this. Does anyone else know of
software that will operate the 847 in this mode for
satellite apps??

73,

Matt Bennett
KF6RTB