Re: IBM 600E computer

Typically, there is a jumper on the motherboard which erases all user BIOS settings and returns the BIOS to factory defaults, often a 3-pin header located right next to the lithium memory battery.  See if you can locate that, move the jumper from it's present location (say, pins 1 & 2) to the other position (pins 2 & 3) for 30 seconds or so, then move it back.  If it's a 2-pin header without a jumper, put one on for 30 seconds.  If it's 2-pin with a jumper, remove it.  Then try going back into the BIOS settings.

George, KA3HSW

-----Original Message-----
From: art coulombe <w7hgk@innw.net>
Sent: Aug 27, 2005 8:39 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] IBM 600E computer

Greetings:
I have an IBM600E that I use for DSP-10, Sat tracking, and etc. The unit
lock-up and rebooted to 'power on password' since I purchased second hand on
ebay awhile back I don't have any infom on the 7 random characters. The local
service center couldn't unlock the unit. The other alternative would be to
send it to IBM for service. However, the cost could be used to invest in
another compuer. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
tnx's art