V/S

Guys and gals,
Made my first 2 V/S QSO's with the portable stn; one using a K5GNA dipole and corner reflector, and the other a homebrew patch antenna for the downlink.  Both with the K5GNA converter and handheld.  5 watts and 4-el uplink.  Very pleased.

While the doppler was easy to track--a pronounced drop in noise on the downlink freq--there is a great deal of noise on all sigs. I could copy only very few sigs, though a few more were loud but buried in the noise.  What's the verdict? Is it transceiver  noise; is the gain in the converter too high (37db) and needs some attenuation; background noise here in NYC; or something else?

Tnx for your thoughts.

73,
Tony, N2UN