Re: Re: PIC Controllers

I have done radiation testing on the PIC16C77 and the PIC16C73 using
protons and a cobalt source. The PICs are quite radiation tolerant. At
slow dose rates (200 rads a minute), I have had PICS function after
96Krads of total dose from a cobalt source. The EPROM was erased at
25Krads total dose at a dose rate of 2Krads/minute. I was able to
reprogram it and run for another 10Krads before a complete failure. For
SEUs, expect single event upsets at about 3MeV. Latchups occured at
about 17MeV. This was using a laser simulating high energy particles.
The testing was done on the EPROM version. I did test a PIC16F73 and it
failed at 9 Krads at 2krad/minute. I never tested for single event
upsets or latchups.

Using a proton source, the PICs have been tested to an equivelant of 17
year life in LEO.

Want to use a real time clock chip, check out the Xicor X1226 which is
now owned by Intersil. It did not fail during proton testing, no latch
ups or single event upsets.

Ivan