Re: pl tone is needed on AO-51

On 15 Aug 2005 at 13:22, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:

> You are correct, PL is required on this session of V/S.
>
> Not at all directed to you Luc, but on a related note....Last night after AO-51 switched to V/S there were stations keying
for extended periods with no audio, and stations repeating their call and grid in the blind. It's polite operating practice
to _not_ transmit unless you can hear the satellite, and to use full duplex on the FM satellites to prevent collisions on
the uplink rendering the satellite useless. If you don't hear AO-51, simply don't transmit. It's time to check the command
team's schedule, or check your equipment at that point, not key down for 30 seconds or say your call 4 times in row or call
CQ. Let's clean up our act on the air some....remember AO-51 is a shared resource.

> My .02$ and mine only.
>
> 73, Drew KO4MA

Just to added up on the noon pass the carrier remain switched on over the whole pass. Signal remain at S-9 plus 60 The
maximum reading on the FT-847 for about 80% of the pass. We where only 4 stations ve3npc k8did ve4lu w7jpl until my LOS.

I don't know if the TX side remain always on but this will drain the batteries a lot! mainly over the ocean path.

"-"
"That a democracy can't do certain things if in fact its citizens don't support it"
Lieutenant general James Conway June 16 2005.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT Quebec coordonnator
AMSAT 33583
www.qsl.net/ve2dwe